Kidney diseases and problems start slowly though, and develop over long periods of time. By taking care of your kidneys - along with the rest of your body - as early as possible in your life, you can slow or prevent the progression of many of the most common problems.
Kidney failure can occur from an acute situation or from chronic problems.
In acute renal failure, kidney function is lost rapidly and can occur from a variety of insults to the body. The list of causes is often categorized based on where the injury has occurred.
- Eat lots of fruit and vegetables including legumes (peas or beans) and grain-based food like bread, pasta, noodles and rice.
- Eat some lean meat like chicken and fish each week.
- Eat only small amounts of salty or fatty food.
- Drink plenty of water instead of other drinks.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Stay fit. Do at least 30 minutes of physical activity that increases your heart rate on five or more days of the week including walking, lawn mowing, bike riding, swimming or gentle aerobics.
- Donít smoke.
- Limit your alcoholto two small drinks per day if you are male or one small drink per day if you are female.
- Have your blood pressure checked regularly.
- Do things that help you relax and reduce your stress levels.
The safest treatment for acute nephritis is fasting on raw juices. By means of the juice fast, the toxins and systemic impurities responsible for setting up of the inflammatory kidney conditions are removed rapidly. The patient should resort to juice tasting for five to seven days till the acute symptoms subside. Mostly vegetable juices such as carrot, celery and cucumber should be used during this period. A warm water enema should be taken each day while fasting to cleanse the bowels of the toxic matter being thrown off by the self-cleansing process resulting from the fast. After the juice fast, the patient may adopt an all-fruit diet for four or five days. Juicy fruits such as apple, grapes, orange, pear, peach and pineapple should be taken during this period. Thereafter the patient may adopt fruits and milk diet for further five days. In this regimen, milk may be added to the fruit diet. After the fruit & milk diet, the patient may gradually embark upon a well-balanced low-protein vegetarian diet, with emphasis on fresh fruits and raw and cooked vegetables.